Sunday, May 28, 2006

Halifornia Bound

Hey Folks.. sorry its been so long since ive made an entry.. but ive been away visiting Halifax NS. Had a really GREAT time there.. i'll try my best to re-cap and generalize what I did day by day.. so lets see here..

Monday:
---------
I get approached by my friends Jay and Ava with the offer to go to halifax around 3pm.. by 4pm im packed and on the road. I arrived in Hali by 1:00 am..first stop was Necro/Joyce/Chris' place.. known to me as "the undergrowth"...ive still never met Chris yet.. but Necro and Joyce we're still up when I got there.. so we watched movies til about 6am.

Tuesday:
---------
I wake up around 1pm. Necro is still in bed.. and Joyce has a friend over.. whose name is Kyle. They were planning on a movie marathon that day.. but instead they came downtown with me to see what kinda trouble we could find haha.. we went to the paperchase and had breakfast.. our friend Ali was working..so she "made it with love" as she said!!..haha then we walked around til we met with a friend of their's named Corey.. he was really kool shit.. as was Kyle.. good times were had indeed. After cruising abit.. I got ahold of my friend Lee..and got dropped off at his place. We had our say and then quickly headed over to a jamspot known as "Area 52" ..we jammed there from about 6-11.. it was kool.. even tho the house kit I used sucked haha..but im just spoiled.. sorry boys..but Pearl Exports just dont cut it anymore haha.
We ended that night early enough.. back to Lee's by 12.. we crashed early.

Wednesday:
------------

Me and Lee go downtown for awhile.. we hit up musicstop..as I wanted to talk to Dave Skinner about possibly volunteering to road hand for the Drum Clinic that was happening on Friday. So I had a great chat with Dave about many things that are going on musically for me and the maritimes.. HEY DAVE!! haha..im sure he'll be reading this at some point.. so a huge shout out to him for his help/advice/support!! ..After leaving musicstop..we went down to Second Cup for a coffee.. and when we we're leaving.. a friend I met threw a mutual friend (walker) recognized me and approached me.. it was Isabelle!! ..hey Isabelle!! ..it was really neat to meet her there..because the first night I hung with Isa..we went to that same S.C shop.. so that was a trip. We went to Lee's to chill and get a bearing on what plans to make.. so from there.. we called Walker.. and went over to visit him!. We had to stop on the way to pick up a pizza..courtesy of Isa.. thanks again Isa!! great Za.. So once we were at walkers new pad..(which rocks alot..wtg bro) ...we made the Za and phoned Jay and Ava to see what could be done for the night.. so we made plans to go see Da Vinci's Code for 9pm. Isa couldnt come.. so we went as the 4 of us.. it wasnt a bad flick at all.. I was surprised!! So after the movie..we had to stop and get an ULTIMATE poutine from Xtreme pizza.. man..I live for that poutine hahah..then we got a ride back to walkers..and I crashed the night there. Thanks again Walka!!

Thursday:
----------

I wake up with walka around 12.. do our duties and get ready to go have breakfast. We went down to a diner on Quinpool Rd. I had a sundae that was amazingly good. Walker and I then parted ways..as he had to be at his new job for 5... at Xcitement Video hahaha..so ironic yet fitting for walker.. haha. So after leaving him..I head up Quinpool to Buckleys Music and visit/meet Doug the drum dept manager. We chat abit about the drumometer he has setup there.. and I mention that I hold the title as "Maritimes Fastest Drummer" ..of course.. he wanted me to prove it.. so with my old score being 989 in 60 seconds.. I had to try it. I test the meter by sustaining 200 bpm.. it lands on 801.. so i know its dead on.. I then give it a real run.. 944.. same as my semi finals score in Moncton 2005. So after that..I felt warmer.. I tried again and got 985.. by then I wanted to break 1000.. so..gave it another go and BAM!!! 1002!! haha I finally broke 1000!!! ...so being pumped from that.. and seeing Dougs doubts quickly fade.. I go again..and score 1004!!! ..so thats my new personal best.. 1004. After that Doug tells me about the Blues jam he's apart of downtown at a club called "The Sea Horse" ..I promised him id make it down.. and that I did. I went walking around to find this bar..and while doing that.. I met this great girl named Gille. Hi Gille!! ..she was talking with Graham at the paperchase about 20 mins before I met her again.. so she stopped me and we talked for a good 30 mins while she waited for a bus. She was glad I showed up..as was I.. she seems really kool and makes a good impression. I then make plans with Jay and Ava to meet at Second Cup.. they only take 3 hours!!! ..it was ok tho..I met a woman named Eliese who works there.. shes very nice.. Hi Eliese!!!..finally tho I met up with Jay and Ava for the night..and went to East Side Marios for dinner.. it was great. We all then headup to the Jam..and it was AWESOME!!! ...Doug's band "The Horsepower Blues Band" is very rockin!!!..I mean ..VERY.. they rocked that pub all damn night. I ended up getting up for a few tunes..and got a great responce from the crowd AND the band..who im telling you..are VETS!!! ..so that was flattering.. I hope Doug glances this..Thanks a Million for letting me sit in on your kit Doug!! .....soooooo after that..we head back to Fall River where Jay and Ava stay..the brakes on their car went earlier that day..so it was quite sketchy leaving the city only using the E-brake.. haha.. it was at night tho..less traffic going.. so we made it safely thankfully... and then we crashed hard.. as Jay had to be up for work at 7am.

Friday:
-------

OK.. damn this is alot to remember/type..haha.. be thankful I care!!! hahaha.. So lets see.. Jay wakes me up around 7am.. I quickly get up and take a walk around the property that im staying at. Judy and Jake were very kind to let me stay the night there.. Judy is Ava's mom ..thanks again Judy for letting me stay!!! ..so about this property... its a gorgeous back yard that leads to a brook.. so u can be sure it was very serene at 7am.. good way to start the day!! ...Me and Jay then take the car as far as Sackville bus terminal.. where we then decide he should take time to try to fix the car instead of going straight to work.. so we did that.. I went to Wal Mart and bought new shoes. Go Me haha. So after all that..the car still wasnt fixed.. so we took the bus into the city..arriving by about 12pm.. I then head to a shop called "The PaperChase" ..My buddies Graham and Ali both work there.. so that rocks. I used the internet Cafe there and got in touch with my friend Paul that is from Hali. He came down and met me at the shop and we then went back to his apt.. to listen to tunes and chill. After that we headed out for a walk around the town.. good times forsure.. we went to a restaurant right above the Second Cup I mentioned.. It was a great time. Theeeeeeeeennn.. we headed back to Paul's ..where we both made plans for the Evening.. as I had to goto the Drum Clinic for 7pm. So I took off to the clinic around 6:30pm ...rolling into the clinic.. Jimmy Degrasso is already started.. he's an AMAZING drummer for those who dont know of him yet.. played with MANY huge bands.. Ozzy,Megadeth,Suicidal Tendencies,MD45,Alice Cooper.. the list goes on forever.. and then to top it off.. they also have Dave Elefson of MEGADETH in the house.. him and Doug Wimbish of "In Living Colour" doing bass clinics with Jimmy accompaning them. It was AMAZING.. then to top it off.. my friend Lee I mentioned..happens to be in a Megadeth tribute band in Halifax..and he got to play with both Dave and Jimmy!!! ..I was so floored by them and for them..that I let the hair out and did alot of windmills for the occassion hahaha.. I love to thrash!!! What a great clinic tho.. I also got Daves Autograph and Jimmy's Sticks!!! The PAIR he used!!! YUSSsssss!!!
After that..we were all rushing hard.. so we went back to Lee's to drop off our gear..and then headed over to Area 52.. to unfortunately realize we didnt have all the gear needed for a jam,..so we then head back to Lee's to make plans.. there we made the plan to goto the Attic to see a band called "Adrenaline" ..while at the bar.. I ran into HellaJohn,TerraMike,John Haight,DrawningInward (Christian/thanks for the brew!!!),Surgeon Visceral(Dave)..and a girl named Kristin..who remembered me..so in return..Ive spelt her name right.. see KRISTIN!!!!!..so Adrenalin went on..I began the trashing with windmills O'plenty!! ..about 4 songs in..they go into Great White..and im thinking to myself "wow..what a great chance to go rest " haha..then Lee comes and says hes gotta go cause he works at 8am.. so we left. Great ending to the night tho.. only complaint I have was the new shoes I bought tore up my heels BIG time.. everyone who saw the blisters can vouche they were brutal. Meh ..I shoulda known better.

Saturday:
----------

8am.. Lee wakes me up to let me know hes called into work "sick" ..ehhem.."sick of working" haha.. so he rewards himself with that. I was greatful to get to sleep in haha. I tried calling Jay all day.. but Judy said they were sleeping still.. so then Lee's friend Jenny arrives..and shes great.. really nice girl.. hi Jenny!!! ..we all go to Wendys for breakfast.. mmm was good. Then it was over to musicstop quickly..for the "Show and Sale" ..I dont usually find products I want..but its the ppl who work those booths that I need to meet..so im cruising around..gathering stickers and stuff.. and around the end..I run into "Redge" who is the drum tech for Jimmy and many other big names and is also the Artist Relations Manager for Pearl Drums of Canada!!!!.. so thats an amazing contact to have made.. Hey Redge!!! ..we then took off back to Lee's..where I checked in online to see who I could have coffee with before leaving town.. and I then made plans with my friend Tracey who lives just 2 blocks down from Lee ...so I told Jay and Ava where we'd meet..as they were renting a car.. I had 30 mins to kill.. so I met with tracey and we hung for awhile.. she went back home and I ended up waiting in the commons for Jay and Ava for about an hour.. they say they drove around 50 times looking for me.. but no regrets.. I spent the time reading my new drum swag haha.. Once they arrive..I had met up with Paul again..he was cruisin threw and saw me sitting there waiting.. so he came with once they arrived.. we dropped him off and headed out of the city finally.. I got back to miramichi around 11:30pm.. safe and sound.. thanks again Jay and Flava Av!!..its really nice to be home!!

So thats it for now folks.. Ive just showered and made time for this..so im now crashin out.. stay tuned for tommorow's entries and drop comments anytime!! Stay Well!!

Mike

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike Machine said...

Thanks bro!! ..hope all is well for you too bro!!

\m/

Mike

2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home